Sender:
Date:
Mon, 25 Mar 2002 19:50:14 -0500
From:
Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
Comments:
> While this may be a bit premature, the comments generated by the regional
> this year has me thinking about how to stage a 16 team event (hopefully next
> year).  The general concessus seems to be that there are three possibilities.
>
> 1.  4 regional sites - 4 teams, three games, one team to Frozen Four.
> Pluses:  Easy to do in the east, many possible venues with good attendance
> likely (Albany, Worcester, Providence, Hartford, Boston to name a few).
> Neutral ice sites.  Travel distances for eastern teams no different from
> regular season weekends.  Minuses:  two western sites hard to find.
> Attendance likely to be poor unless host team at site, which could lead to
> unfair disadvantage to higher seeded team (i.e., DU in Ann Arbor).

A few of us are already talking about the logistics of the eastern
regionals.  Worcester is already guaranteed to be one of the venues.  If
either Manchester or Providence is the other one, we are already speculating
that we could watch two games at one arena in the afternoon, then make a mad
dash to another rink and catch at least one of the night games.  The
advantage of living in the northeast corridor!  As for the West, I really
don't know what they can do to improve attendance.  Better promotion,
discounted air fares?

> 2.  2 super regional - 8 teams, six games, 2 advance to FF.  Pluses:  Better
> attendance likely, since a host, or near host team probable at each venue.
> Few western sites could be rotated.  Minuses:  Tickets could be very hard to
> get (especially in east), not likely to expand fan base.  Six games could
> trash ice by the last game if done over two days.  Possibly too much(?)
> hockey for one weekend?

I like the idea of a super regional but I really don't think the NCAA will
buy it.  Besides the wish to eliminate byes in the tournament, they other
purpose of expanding the field is to increase revenue.  Two arenas doesn't
really do that, four arenas definitely gives you a better shot.

> 3.  Campus sites for regional of 4 teams, three games, one advance.  Pluses:
> Good attendance (sell outs) at campus sites.  Minuses:  Big advantage for top
> seeds, upsets much less likely. (#4 vs #5 difference in seeds is huge).
> Campus venues may be small.  Rink size could influence seeding of hosts, not
> merit of team.  No advance notice of regional site.  Tickets impossible to
> get for traveling fans.

Although there is a precedent with women's basketball, I'm dead set against
campus sites. Too much of an advantage for the home teams.  We already have
seen what home ice has done for Michigan twice in the last five years, do we
want to repeat it multiple times in the same year?  I hope not.

> All of these ideas have merit and problems.  My idea, is a combination of the
> first two.
> East-two neutral ice regional.
> Site A- 2 games Friday, 1 game Saturday
> Site B- 2 games Saturday, 1 game Sunday
>
> West- one super-regional
> Friday- two 1st round games
> Saturday- two 1st round games
> Sunday- two QF games (Friday vs Friday, Saturday vs. Saturday)
>
> This would maximize attendance without resorting to campus sites.  It takes
> advantage of the eastern geography without compromising the western
> attendance too much.  The larger super regional field still leaves the
> problem of a host school/ lower seed home ice, but more teams should give
> more attendance, ultimately allowing for more sites to bid on superregional.
> Unfortunately, I cannot come up with a way to solve the Yost/Twin Cities site
> problem as long as western attendance is so dependent on the host team.  That
> said, Worcester's attendance this past weekend speaks volumes for the fan
> base that travels for UNH, Maine, Cornell and BU (and even QU), while other
> eastern teams such as RPI, BC, Clarkson and SLU are known for their large and
> vocal crowds.  These fans should have the tickets available to them that two
> regional would allow.
>
> Submitted to generate some discussion, not to detract from the upcoming
> Frozen Four, which should be very interesting, although I was hoping to have
> had a reason to try and be in St. Paul.
>
> William Sangrey
> Cornell '87 & '94
> Let's Go RED!!!!