Sender:
From:
MJ Connors <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Mar 2001 22:03:07 -0500
PROVIDENCE COLLEGE MEN'S HOCKEY POST-GAME PRESS CONFERENCE
SATURDAY, MARCH 24, 2001
NCAA WEST REGIONAL - GRAND RAPIDS, MICH.

Wisconsin 4, Providence 1

Head Coach Paul Pooley -
Thoughts on the game -
"The flow of the game was not conducive to the type of game we wanted to
play.  It turned into a special teams' game.  I thought our guys played well
in the third period.  We got opportunities to score but we could not put it
in the net.  It was a tough way to go down, but there goalie, Melanson, made
some tough saves.  The two guys to the right of me (Matt Libby and Jay
Leach) are a big reason that we are here and I need to give them a lot of
credit."

Do you think there was turning point to this game?
"I felt really comfortable in the third period.  I think the difference in
the game was special teams.  They got a power-play goal and we didn't.  I
did not sense that there was any turning point.  I think the third goal for
them was big.  Just the way it happened.  I felt real comfortable that if we
got one early in the third, one's gonna get you two."

Matt Libby -
Commenting on the physical play in the game -
"We knew that they were a big team.  We tried to come out and use our speed
and quickness.  It was physical game, but you gotta expect that in a big
game like this."

Jay Leach -
Commenting on the physical play in the game -
"They are a big team, but we've seen big teams before.  There was a lot at
stake, it is the NCAA Tournament -- if you win you are in, if you lose you
are out.  I don't think it was any more physical than what we are use to.
You are not going to play tomorrow if you don't play hard out there today!"

Matt Libby -
Commenting on the frustrations of not being able to score after putting on
so much pressure in the third period -
"We came out hard in the third period.  We felt that if we put pressure on
their defensemen in the D zone they might turn the puck over.  We were
getting chances, but we just couldn't bury the puck.  Their goalie played a
great game.  I give him all the credit.  It was definitely frustrating.  But
our guys played hard right to the end.  It just was not meant to be for us
tonight."

Jay Leach -
Commenting on the frustrations of not being able to score after putting on
so much pressure in the third period -
"Like Matt said the goalie was a huge factor for them.  We outshot them, but
that's sometimes the way hockey goes.  I don't think we were going upstairs
on him enough cause he covers down low real well.  But they played well.  We
played like we have all year, hard until the end.  Things did not go our way
but we are proud to be here.