Sender:
From:
Erik Biever <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Apr 2000 15:43:54 -0500
Jeff Partnow writes:

> I have to agree. The only fly in the ointment was Anaheim's decision to
> re-do all the roads at the time of the Tournament, given the fact that the
> Pond was barely within walking distance from its own parking lots, let alone
> the rest of Orange County.

A great big insect in the ointment was the lack of eating/drinking
establishments within walking distance of the Pond.  The between-games HOCKEY-L
dinner on Thursday was a disaster.

> I thought that the Pond was a terrific venue, and the crowds (about
> 14-15,000 in a 17,000 seat arena) were good. Given that 4/5s of the
> attendees were either affiliated with the schools, members of Hockey-l, or
> Mighty Duck season ticket holders, there was no lack of hockey knowledge
> among the spectators.

The Pond is a typical modern NHL-style arena, no more or less.  Similar arenas
exist in downtown areas (e.g., Milwaukee, Boston) that are more fan-friendly.

-- Erik