Sender:
Date:
Wed, 8 Jan 1992 14:28:00 EST
I must agree with the comments that I have seen to date...the people who
have made a fuss about the rankings do not understand what it means.

As an RPI graduate, I am biased and I don't like to see the team rated
so low.  On the other hand, from what I have seen this team is not what
it was in 1985 when they won the national championship (and set the NC$$
record for the longest winning streak :-).

But I digress.  The reporter who wrote that story is especially guilty
of bias.  He has his poll and thinks that it correctly reflects the
strength of the college hockey teams.  It does not!!!  It reflects the
biases of the voters.  These biases can be based on home team loyalty or
they can be based on which teams the voters have seen in action.

Letters to the editor are certainly called for but please do not
consider RPI players and fans to be the cause of this problem.

Eric Maiwald RPI '87 maiwald at dockmaster.ncsc.mil