Sender:
From:
Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Oct 1996 14:11:03 EDT
Today marked the first UMass-Lowell hockey luncheon of the year.  The River
Hawks open their season tonight against sister school UMass-Amherst.

After some opening remarks by Bob Ellis, the play-by-play announcer and
luncheon emcee, the UML football coach spoke.

Then Chris Libbett did a Q&A.  Someone from the audience asked him about
Bruce Crowder vs. Tim Whitehead and he responded with positive words about
both coaches.  Then he said, "Of course, I'm not going to say anything bad
about the coach because he's here."

That drew an appreciative laugh followed by Whitehead's voice from the back
of the room.  "Thanks, Chris.  That saves me from having to make out a new
lineup."

:-)

Whitehead then spoke.  He mentioned three goals for the team:

        1) Play physically.

        2) Outshoot the Minutemen.  Shoot from anywhere.

        3) Work hard.

He also said that Scott Fankhouser would be in the goal tonight.  "Scott's
earned the start," he said.  "I'm not going to use a rotation.  I'm going
to go with whatever goalie is playing the best.  Right now he's the one.  I
hope I play him again on Saturday, because that will mean he had a good
game tonight."

Dave Hendrickson   [log in to unmask]
Hockey East writer for US College Hockey Online
        http://www.uscollegehockey.com