Sender:
From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jun 1996 07:49:00 EDT
Jon Barkan writes...
>I don't care what Haeussler says, to me, he's still overrated and a
stiff!!!
>Turco would kick his butt!!!

OK, Barko...you get an A for enticing me into this one, but an
E for attempting to invoke a disagreement.  !=^)  Check the
Hockey-L archives for my Shields-ranting during his collegiate
years.  IMO (and most others disagree), Shields in no better
than the fourth best netminder at Michigan in the 1990s, behind:

  Warren Sharples (through 1989-90)
  Chris Gordon (1990-91 to 1993-94)
  Marty Turco (1994-95 to current)

Give Gregg Malicke (1995-96 to current) some more ice time
and Shields will be close to falling out of the top five.  Fwiw...it
was a good season for Wolverine netminders.  Turco and
Malicke were members of the NCAA champs, Gordon backstopped
the Flint Generals to the CoHL title and Shields helped Rochester
win the AHL.

Trivia of the day...who has the most NHL starts among the UM
'tenders mentioned above?  Answer...Warren (Scott) Sharples.

As for butt kickin'...put 'em at center ice and Shields would take
just about any goaltender in North America.  He's bigger than
any current Wolverine, including Botterill.  I don't care what the
media guide might say, I'm pushing 6-3/220 and the last time I
saw Steve he was bigger than me.  It looks like he'll make it
in goal, but if not he could probably make the Sabres as a
defenseman.

Happy off-season to all...including you, JB...

John H ([log in to unmask])