Sender:
From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jun 1996 00:20:48 -0401
The following appeared in the Boston Globe, Tuesday, June 4, 1996.

THE SPECULATION BEGINS...
by Bob Monahan

Soon after Northeastern hockey coach Ben Smith accepted the position as
coach of the US National women's team, the names of possible replacements
were being bounced around like pucks at a practice.

The name of Donald (Toot) Cahoon, head coach at Princeton, was brought up
quickly.  Cahoon is a Swampscott native who played for Marblehead High
School and Boston University.  He was an assistant at BU and a head coach
at Norwich University.

Some feel NU athletic director Barry Gallup should test the waters of
Hockey East and consider coaches such as UMass-Lowell's Bruce Crowder,
Providence's Paul Pooley, New Hampshire's Dick Umile and Merrimack's Ron
Anderson.

Crowder has done very well at UMass-Lowell, which will have a new facility
soon.  Umile's team, always competitive, played in a new facility last
year, and PC hockey has rebounded since Pooley took over two years ago.
Anderson has been feeling heat from some alumni.

St Lawrence coach Joe Marsh, a Lynn native, also was mentioned.  Dave
Quinn, one of Smith's assistants, will seek the position.  UMass assistant
coach Bob Deraney also may figure in the mix.
END

Note that no sources are given for the speculation above.  Also, many of
the names are the same ones who are mentioned whenever an area coaching job
opens up, so that is no surprise.  My own opinion is that I cannot see any
of the HE coaches that Bob mentions moving to NU.  I also suspected that
Quinn would put in for the job.  I really can't say what the chances are
that any of the others (Cahoon, Marsh, and Deraney) might put in for it.

NU has traditionally been a difficult school to recruit to.  While Smith
had a good team and some success in 1994, I think some people expected him
to be able to do more than he did throughout his tenure.  Whoever does come
in will have a tough road ahead of him, but the basic tools are there to
build with - a recently renovated rink, a quality school, and media
attention in Boston.  It will be especially interesting if NU is able to
lure away an established coach from another school.

Mike Machnik                   [log in to unmask]            *HMM* 11/13/93