Sender:
From:
Nickles Irvin Chittester <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Apr 1996 08:12:29 -0700
        As a junior college student in Phoenix, I can say that yes, both Arizona
State and University of Arizona both have hockey clubs. While they are not
very good, the Ice Devils were invited to the tournament for the first
time in their history, I believe. So, college hockey is gaining a *tiny*
amount of attention. Unfortunately, the papers here completely ignore
college hockey...the only thing we see about it out here is the NCAA
playoffs, and even then, only the last couple rounds are covered. The only
reason I know Michigan won it this year is because I watched it on ESPN.
        I also think that the Phoenix Coyotes are really going to be a
turning point in hockey's popularity here. So hopefully, the college
hockey around the Valley will benefit from this. Actually, ASU and Uof
A do not offer hockey scholarships at all; an example of what shape
college hockey is in around here. But hopefully that will begin to change.

Nick Chittester