Sender:
From:
Eric Rickin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Mar 1996 18:48:35 -0500
After the game ended (I nearly peed my pants in overtime.  Michigan
looked TERRIBLE the 2nd period, and I was just waiting for CC to run up
the score!), not that many people were out and about celebrating.  A few
hunded people met in the diag and walked to south U.  The police were
there waiting (they're been prepared since the riots 3 and 4 years ago
after final four basketball games), but nothing really happened.  Just a
whole lot of exicited people.  Anyway, I think the crowd wasn't that big
because 1) b-ball = more popular, 2) a lot of the true blue fans went to
the game.

The future looks bright for mihigan hockey.  in 1992-3, my first year w/
season tickets, I got on line at 5 am and was #500.  Tickets didn't sell
out (there are always 1500 available for students) until way late into
the day.  This year, however, I got there at 3 am and was #1000 in line.
Tickets sold out by 8 am and many people camped for multiple days for
tickets.

There will be a celebration Monday, probably on the Diag, around 5 pm or
6 pm (Source : someone in the hockey pep band).  More details later.

I leave michigan hockey with a tear in my eye.  All 4 years, each team
has been good enough to win the championship.  If anything, I thought
this years team would be the least likely to make it.  How wrong I was!
Michigan hockey has given me some GREAT moments and a lot to celebrate
about in the last 4 years.  I LOVE watching NHL games and seeing people
that I've watched play at the Yost particiapting in the NHL (oliver,
roberts, Ward & Knuble (Someday)).

However, what I'll miss the most are the fans.  The fans, esp. the
students, are some of the best in hockey.  I was thrilled to hear all the
students at the final four games over the TV.  It sounded like a student
game at yost (yost = pretty dead without the students).

Next year I'll be either in Cincy or Columbus attending med school.
Columbus would be nice, because I could see michigan play 2 or so games a
year (I hear their ice rink turns into Yost when michigan plays.
(grin)).  but I'll ALWAYS miss the Yost, and michigan hockey, no matter
how many times I come back to visit, will never be the same.  I can't
tell you how glad I am to be going out on the highest note possible, and
how proud I am of everyone invovled with michigan hockey.

GO BLUE!

---
HERE IS ERIC.
http://www.biology.lsa.umich.edu/~erickin
PGP Public Key Available

University of Michigan -- 1996 NCAA Hockey Champions!