Sender:
From:
Anthony Frolik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Mar 1996 14:59:18 -0600
>Our TV station had the rights to Minnesota-Duluth hockey from 1990 through
>this past season.  In 1993 when UMD was invited to the West Regional in
>Detroit, the NCAA would not allow us to televise the games back to Duluth
>unless 9000 seats at Joe Louis Arena were sold, because they didn't want TV
>to hurt the gate receipts.  This, despite the fact that Duluth is several
>hundred miles from Detroit, and with the first round on Friday evening, fans
>travelling on less than a week's notice would have to have left on Thursday
>and take two days off from work.  As a contingency, we put a production crew
>in Detroit on stand-by and flew in four of our own people in the event enough
>tickets were sold, but that didn't happen.
>
>WDIO-TV
>Duluth, MN

Why doesn't the NCAA think of the students at the schools?  It's pretty
hard, unless you are an athlete to get out of classes without being
penalized.  For example, if UMD had gone to the West regional this year, I
would have loved to go, but I had a physics test this morning and would
have had no chance of getting out of it.  Next Friday I have a computer
science test, and would not be able to go to Cincinnati, either.

Anyway, we follow and support our team all year long, or at least some of
us do, I still can't believe the playoff attendance this year, but we don't
get to see our team during the most important time of the year.

Enough venting,
Tony

--
Anthony J. Frolik                            University of Minnesota Duluth
Go Bulldogs!                                  16-15-1 WCHA, 20-17-1 Overall