Sender:
From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Mar 1996 09:39:55 EST
>From Jayson Moy's All-ECAC teams and awards post on INFO-HOCKEY-L

> All-ECAC
>
> 1st Team                                2nd Team
>
> G Tim Thomas            Vermont         Dan Brenzavich          Colgate

Hmm... Dan Brenzavich over Clarkson's Dan Murphy, who was the only ECAC
Honorable Mention goalie.  I don't see it.  Granted, my perception is probably
a bit distorted by Brenzavich's horrid performance against Cornell in last
weekend's quarterfinals (to be fair, Brenzavich was fighting a groin injury
as well as the puck), but Murphy played every game this year while Brenzavich
missed four with an injury, and the two's stats are comparable.  (Murphy: 2.57
GAA and .914 save percentage; Brenzavich:  2.41 GAA and .915 save percentage)
It's certainly not Brenzavich's fault that he got hurt, but I think Murphy's
performance over a longer period (who knows what Brenzavich would have done
in those four games) needs to count for something, especially since their
stats were so close.

> F Eric Perrin           Vermont         Mike Harder             Colgate
> F Martin St. Louis      Vermont         Chris DeProfio          Colgate
> F Burke Murphy          SLU             Todd White              Clarkson

Well, this was easy.  Take the top six scorers in the league, giving Burke
Murphy the edge over teammate Paul DiFrancesco (both with 40 points) because
he scored more goals, and jumble them around a bit.  Fine, but I can't help
thinking that if the voters took into account things like how much a player
means to his team, Cornell's Brad Chartrand would have been at least second
team.  (He was an honorable mention, as well as the ECAC's Defensive Forward
of the Year [???] so at least he got *some* recognition)

> All-Rookie Team:
>
> D Jan Kloboucek         Vermont
> [ snip ]
>
> <My comment>
> I have a beef with Kloboucek here.  Yes he was a rookie in the ECAC this year,
> but he is a junior.  He transferred from North Country Community College,
> and is athletically a junior.  I may be old-school but I think only Freshmen
> should be here.
> <end my comment>

I'll go along with that... in fact, it was my understanding that a Rookie was
athletically a freshman.  Guess not.

> Joe Marsh wins Coach of the Year.  This could be pretty controversial. I
> personally felt Mike Schafer should have won it, but I can see why Marsh
> won it.  SLU 9->3, Cornell 8->4.  I think that was the deciding factor.

This doesn't surprise me at all -- I've been predicting since January that
Schafer would lose out to either Marsh or Vermont's Mike Gilligan.  Rookies
don't win Coach of the Year, at least in the ECAC.  St. Lawrence and Cornell
tied for eighth last season (with SLU getting the tiebreaker edge), so the
Saints' improvement this year was slightly better -- one point, in fact --
than Cornell's.  Then again, St. Lawrence could have finished even higher in
the standings (and it looked like they would) if it weren't for their one-point
flameout at home in the last weekend of the regular season.

I think the real deciding factor (and I suppose I can see the logic behind it,
although I disagree with it) is that, being a first-year coach, Schafer has
not yet shown how his own recruits will fit into the Cornell team -- while
Marsh, of course, has done that with St. Lawrence.  Fair warning to the other
ECAC teams:  when Schafer *does* get his own recruits playing for Cornell,
watch out, because if Schafer's reputation as a coach is exceeded by anything,
it's by his reputation as a top-notch recruiter.

Now we can wait three months to see the All-Ivies... those should be inter-
esting...

Bill Fenwick
Cornell '86 and '95
LET'S GO RED!!