Sender:
From:
Matt Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 1996 09:54:15 -0600
From the WCHA standings:

> 4  Minnesota-Duluth   32 16-15-1  33  116-109 || 36  20-15-1  132-116
>    North Dakota       32 16-15-1  33  127-126 || 36  19-16-1  153-144

From the Hockey-L MINN-DUL schedule archive

 A 11/03/95 W     5  North Dakota         3
 A 11/04/95  L    3  North Dakota         5

 H 01/26/96 W     3  North Dakota         1
 H 01/27/96  L    2  North Dakota         3

From the WCHA site:

In the event that ties are encountered in the determination of Association
ranking or designation of home teams for playoff
purposes, the following procedures will be used in the order given to break
the ties:

a. if two or more teams are tied, head to head competition during the
regular season will be used to break the tie

Result:  2-2

b. if two or more teams are still tied after 'a', the highest seed will go
to the team with the most WCHA wins during the regular
season

Both have 16

c. if two or more tied teams played a 4-game series during the regular
season and the teams have the same win-loss record for
these series and the same number of WCHA wins, the team having the least
number of goals scored against it in the 4-game
series shall have the higher rank

UMD scored 13, UND scored 12.

Also from the archives

Date:         Sat, 27 Jan 1996 10:37:01 -0600

Taras Lendzyk beat the University of North Dakota last night 3-1 in an important
WCHA game.  The fourth place Bulldogs were outshot 43-28 (I think that was UMD's
total) but Taras Lendzyk made save after amazing save.
There was an empty netter, so this game was a little closer than the score.
             ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thus the third tiebreaker was applied because of an empty net goal.
(The 4th tie breaker is WCHA goals for-goals against which UMD would win
7-1, so they would have won had it still been tied)

If UMD can get past MTU, and UND can stop the Wisconsin juggernaut (and of
course the top 3 teams also win)  the Thursday night game in Milwaukee
should be a dandy.

Matt Evans
Minnesota '89
UMD '91