Sender:
From:
"Mark J. Sonnier" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 1996 07:21:14 -0900
At 04:37 PM 2/13/96 -0500, Veronica Rodriguez wrote:

>I wish to learn more about all college divs. Also why aren't clubs mentioned.
>
>Living here in Tucson, hockey is a rare sport. But to many people's surprise
>we have a great hockey club team. The U of A Icecats. I think all great teams
>including great clubs should be mentioned. If anyone else is interested in
>commenting on any other clubs like Eastern MICH, Colorado, Colorado State,
>ASU, OHIO, or any other clubs please do.

I also am a little curious about club hockey, particularly out West.  (I
recently found out how extensive the PCHA's membership actually is.)  I
realize many of the club teams are just that, even to the point that some
PCHA members allow full time staff to play (obviously not too cool if
planning to move to NCAA).  Also, playing games at 10:30 at night at the
local mall (or similar) would not suggest an easy transfer to the "big" leagues.

My question is this:  How many club teams currently have the infrastructure
(if not the talent) and monetary backing to support NCAA programs?
Facilities, attendance base, competing teams (IHL, etc.) in the area, etc.
Let's forget about Title IX for a minute - as if we really could :)  Teams
like Penn State, Arizona and Illinois seem to be logical choices for this list.

Cheers!

Mark J. Sonnier, C.P.M.
UAF '90