Sender:
From:
Stephen E Roth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 1995 09:07:34 EDT
Dick Tuthill asked:

>  Suppose that a school,  currently in gender compliance,   with a  50-50
>split in its gender population,  wanted to institute men's hockey and go D-1
>with the full compliment of scholarships.   Now,  let us assume that would
>put this school out of gender compliance;  so,  they also start a women's
>hockey team.   Does the school also have to offer the same (or let's say
>approximately the same) number of scholarships to women,  or is the
>establishment of the women's team enough?   What I'm getting at here is the
>"two for one" thing we keep hearing about.   Is that really the effect of
>the law?

Federal regulations pertaining to Title IX consistently focus on
"equity" between sports for men and women.  Assuming a 50-50 gender
split in a college's student population, simply having an equal
number of sports for men and women isn't sufficient.  If there are 10
men's sports totaling 250 student-athletes and 10 women's sports
totaling 130 student-athletes, that's not equitable.   If the men get
70% of the scholarships, that's not equitable.  If the men get new
uniforms every other year and all the sticks they want, while the
women get new uniforms every 4 years and are rationed on sticks,
that's not equitable.

So, fielding a men's hockey team with full scholarships and a
"bare-bones" women's hockey team is probably not going to help a
school with Title IX compliance -- especially given that they are
comparable sports (i.e., use the same facilities, same type of
equipment, etc.).

Dr. Stephen E. Roth                [log in to unmask]
Dean of Student Services
Canisius College                            (716) 888-2522
Buffalo, New York 14226                 FAX (716) 888-3190