Sender:
From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jan 1995 14:02:44 -0500
John Kupiszewski writes:
>      At the end of Saturday's MTU/ND game their were penalties called against
>both teams.  MTU's Prokopeitz recieved 2 for roughing 2 for high sticking and
>a 10 minute misconduct.  ND's player only receives a 2 minute roughing call.
>To the best of my understanding the teams should have skated 5 on 4 with
>ND having a 2 minute powerplay.  However, instead the teams skated 4 on 3.
>The score board read  2 minutes for ND, and on MTU's side their was a 2 minute
>penalty on the board and a 4 minute penaalty on the board (note that these two
>penalties had the same number 19 Figliomini as the man serving the penalty.)
>Then ND scored a powerplay goal with about 20 seconds or so left in the game,
>the teams skated 4 on 4 and MTU's 2 minute penalty was removed form the board.
>Could somebody please either explain this to my as to why these penalties were
>served this way or point me out a rule in the rule book I could look up.

I thought this seemed unusual, so I checked Dave Fischer's box from
the game, and sure enough, here is what Dave had for the penalties
(and the ensuing PPG):

>                P19 UND-9 Naumenko (2-Rough)    19:25
>                P20 MTU-11 Prokopetz (2-Rough)  19:25
>                P21 MTU-12 Prokopetz (2-High Stick)     19:25
>                                     Served by Figliomeni
>                P22 MTU-13 Prokopetz (10-Misconduct)    19:25
>11. UND-5 Ryan JOHNSON (3)
>(unassisted)..........................................................  19:34

If John's description of the situation is correct and Dave's box is
correct, then there seems to have been an error made by referees
Shepherd and Krieger.  Coincidentals only go on the board when 1) there
are no penalties already on the board, and 2) at one stoppage of play,
the only penalties called are a single minor to each team.  That did
not happen in this case, so as John says, the coincidentals should
have been kept off the board, leaving one extra minor on MTU which
goes up (served by Figliomeni) and resulting in a 5x4 for UND.

Just BTW, I noticed that Dave had the PPs as 1-7 for UND, but it seems
that it should have been 2-8.  UND's earlier PPG was listed as such,
but this goal was not.