Sender:
From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Mar 1994 00:07:56 -0500
BU 5, Northeastern 2
Mass Lowell 4, UNH 2

The 1-2 teams, BU and UML, meet for the HE championship Saturday night
at 8 pm.  This is UML's first trip to the championship game after six
tries.  BU has won two HE titles, in 1986 and 1991.  BU won the season
series, 2-1-0.

The consolation game will feature #3 UNH and #4 Northeastern.

NU   0   2   0  -  2
BU   2   2   1  -  5
BU goalie Derek Herlofsky was the story of this one.  He stoned the
Huskies on several great scoring bids in the first as BU built a 2-0
lead and extended it to 3-0 in the second, but the Huskies came back
to score two of the next three goals to keep it interesting at 4-2
after two.  BU played much better defensively in the third and the
result was never really in doubt.  Jacques Joubert scored two goals
for the winners and nearly had a hat trick.

UNH     0     0     2  -  2
UML     1     1     2  -  4
Mass Lowell carried this game on the basis of their special teams and
outstanding play by G Dwayne Roloson, but the Wildcats, who had been
the only team to beat UML when losing to them after two periods,
fought back to make it 3-2 in the third.  UML added the ENG for the
4-2 final.

IMO, 5 teams had their NC$$ tourney hopes pretty much dashed tonight:
Brown, Clarkson, Miami, BGSU, and MTU.

The SCSU upset of Wisconsin really hurts the teams on the bubble like
MSU, WMU, RPI, NMU, CC, and Maine.  SCSU appeared to be on the outside
looking in, but they're now in a position to beat the Gophers and gain
the automatic bid from the WCHA.  Kind of funny that when the WCHA
tourney finally moves to Wisconsin, we have an all-Minnesota final!

UML appears to have locked up a top 4 seed in the East with their win
and losses by UNH and NU, but those two teams are still very much
alive for bids with UNH having a good chance and NU with a decent
shot.  This was how I saw the seedings before tonight:

EAST BU, Harvard, UNH, UML, NU, Maine
WEST Michigan, Minnesota, LSSU, Wisconsin, WMU, RPI

But MSU helped their chances quite a bit.  At first glance, the 5 HE
teams may seem to be bias on my part, but that's not taking into
account the possibility that the Tory wins will be counted as Maine
losses.  With 5 HE teams rated in the top 10 before tonight, it was a
distinct possibility though I would be surprised to see it happen.
Mike Machnik                                          [log in to unmask]
Cabletron Systems, Inc.                                  *HMM* 11/13/93
Opinions expressed in this post are solely those of the poster.