From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 1994 12:13:50 -0500
Mark Grassl writes:
>   If they were members of the women's team I hope they didn't accept
>   any prizes.  That is not allowed by (who else) the NCAA.  A year
>   or two ago a student at Marquette won a car by hitting a
>   half-court shot at a Marquette basketball game.  He was a member
>   or the track team.  There was a lot of legal wrangling to see
>   if the guy could somehow remain on the team and get the car.  Does
>   anybody (any Milwaukee people?) remember what happened?

Since I started this by wondering if the competitors were on the
women's team, I should add that I've since been told by Adam Bryant
(who was also at the game) that the two were members of the
cheerleading squad, not the women's team.  That makes me more
impressed. :-)

But I wonder if there would have been a problem if they had been
players on the women's team and accepted prizes.  The NC$$ does not
sanction women's hockey and as far as I know, has no jurisdiction over
it.  I do not even know if the women players are considered NC$$
athletes.

I seem to remember some different details about the incident with the
track guy winning the car, but since I don't recall everything I will
not start a long string of posts with incorrect speculation.  The
specifics are not quite relevant anyway.  I think the book Undue
Process covers this case but I don't have it here at work.

I notice the Wisconsin folks are quick to jump in with the NC$$
regulations - you guys should know them by now.  I'm sorry, I couldn't
resist!  Meant completely in jest. :-)
Mike Machnik                                          [log in to unmask]
Cabletron Systems, Inc.                                  *HMM* 11/13/93
<<<<< Color Voice of the (14-14-2) Merrimack Warriors WCCM 800 AM >>>>>