From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Nov 1993 09:06:00 PST
30 OCTOBER 1993, YOST ICE ARENA, Ann Arbor MI

Notre Dame     1  0  1  --   2      7   5   6  --  18
Michigan       4  5  4  --  13     17  14  14  --  45

 2:05 M Luhning (Madden,Hilton)
 7:49 N Nelsen (Ling)
13:14 M Knuble (unassisted) ppg
13:33 M Legg (unassisted) gwg
16:20 M Legg (unassisted)
22:18 M Botterill (Oliver,Shields)
28:17 M Frescoln (Stone,Hilton) shg
30:19 M Knuble (Morrison,Botterill) ppg
34:02 M Botterill (Oliver)
35:06 M Morrison (Stone,Halko)
41:03 M Morrison (Stone,Knuble)
45:20 M Oliver (Morrison,Wiseman) ppg
49:17 M Knuble (?Morrison?) ppg
54:55 M Oliver (Loges,Hogan)
57:04 N Lammpa (Bales,Thornton)

Goaltenders:
  ND Louder (30:19) Lathrop (18:58) Salzman (10:43)
  UM Shields (30:19) Gordon (18:58) Loges (10:43)

Three Stars:
  1: Mich Brendan Morrison (2-3--5)
  2: Mich Mike Knuble (3-1--4)
  3: Mich David Oliver (2-2--4)

Attendance: 6463

COMMENTS:
  Believe it or not, this is a different Notre Dame team than the one that
also lost 13-2 in the CCHA first round last March.  The Irish seemed more
physical than before, and stayed with the Wolverines step for step for the
first 12 minutes.  A pair of unassisted Mike Legg goals (his first two
collegiate scores) really hurt ND in the latter half on the first period and
the flood gates opened from there.  I thought Legg earned a star, but it's
hard to argue with the selection of Morrison, Knuble and Oliver.

  Michigan has scored 28 goals in 4 games and freshmen are responsible for
15 of them (led by Jason Botterill and Brendan Morrison with 5 each).

  FYI...The goalies changed at 7-1 and 12-1.

  It goes without saying that it was once again a pleasure to chat with ND
Head Coach Ric Schafer.  I'm looking forward to seeing Coach Schafer
following a big victory someday, hopefully not at the expense of the
Wolverines.

  John H
  U Mich (3-0-1)
  If Wisconsin had any sense, they would forfeit their final 1993 game at
Camp Randall, or move it to a neutral site.  Or even better, maybe the
university will be sued to the point that it is forced to drop the athletic
program.  (Then we can go back to being the Big Ten.)  FYI...lost in all of
the publicity surrounding the tragic trampling of persons is the fact that
one of the Michigan players was cut near the eye after being hit in the face
by a marshmallow loaded with pennies thrown by a Wisconsin fan.  Nice touch.