From:
Doug Peterson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 9 Apr 2010 07:50:33 -0400
Here's the good and the bad from my perspective.

Attendance: The announced attendance was much larger than I had expected.  It was the
largest crowd for an indoor hockey game.

Upper deck seating - I was sitting along the boards and not behind or in a corner.  It has been
fine for sight lines but a bit far away.  I can't hear too much of the game which makes for a
slightly odd feeling.

Noise - The ambient noise is just so high.  That is probably the bigger problem with hearing
the game than the distance.  After the second game got out of hand, much of the crowd left
and the situation became more pleasant.

Stadium floor seating - This was a truly regrettable situation.  I deliberately chose the cheaper
seats in the lottery so I would not risk sitting in the floor areas.  The pitch was just not high
enough.  I wish they had just moved the rink up to the regular seating in the rearrangement.
Yes, they would have lost seating but they would have made the seating situation better for
half the crowd.

Concessions Stands & Bathrooms - These are in plentiful supply since they are sized for a
crowd twice as big.  If there are lines were you are, walk a little towards the edges of the
seating, they are open well past the seating area.

Concourses - These are large (huge relative to many hockey arenas), again sized for a
football crowd.  The lower concourse along the brick facade side is really quite nice with a
sort of street theme including rough pavers, ironwork and street lighting.  An old warehouse
that was in the stadium location was incorporated into the design of one side of the stadium.
It is part of the interior facade and is also an office building.

Restaurants & Parking - Both are pretty plentiful.  The lots near the stadium are expensive,
up to $30.  The parking prices ramp down quickly to $10 and $15 including ramp parking with
not much extra walk.

Souvenir Stands - These are in large abundance inside and outside of the stadium.  For the
first time I did not miss part of a game trying to get my Frozen Four pin.

Thank you,

Doug Peterson
(disclosure: I live in the Detroit area and work for Ford)