From:
David Parter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Parter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 2004 19:51:01 -0500
What makes a great host city/venue?

it should be affordable -- that means some of the hotels have to be
midrange, but still close by, or really easy via public transit.

It has to be possible to get lunch and dinner near the arena, at a
reasonable cost, on a reasonable schedule. Getting an early dinner
before the final (assuming it is at night again) somewhere else, but
being assured of being able to get to the arena ontime via public
transit is also a good feature.

I don't think the venue for the Hobey and related stuff matters -- a
ballroom in a hotel is ok, if it is easy to get to by public
transportation and/or walking. Being in a "special" place really doesn't
matter much to me.

Good choices for a late saturday breakfast nearby would be good too.

(hmmm... I should get dinner. i seem to have food on my mind)

Atmosphere both in and outside the arena can make the a host city/venue
"great". The ushers/security people at the Fleet Center were not very
friendly.  Since a lot of us are from out of town, and not "old hands"
at going to events at the arena, and use public transit, people arrive
earlier than for the local team. Open the doors early!

Don't kick everyone out 5 minutes after the event (and limiting the
exits that makes it hard to find others in a dispersed group).

Provide really good arena maps in advance, including information on how
to pick places to meet people. Maybe even let groups arrange in advance
for group meeting points with a signs (if we can't bring one in, can the
arena put one up for us?)

Good places for the fans of the final teams to have pep rallies (near
the arena, of course)

Good coverage in the local media.

I also agree with the concern that goign to to many non-traditional
sites risks the atmosphere...

     --david