From:
John T Whelan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John T Whelan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 2004 22:30:51 -0600
I finally got around to sorting out all the broadcast information at

http://www.uscho.com/m/ncaad1/?data=tv2004

and I have to say I'm disappointed that only about half the games will
be televised live on networks that can be received nationwide via
DirecTV or DiSH network.  The most glaring gap is Saturday night, when
the East and West regional finals are not live on any of DirecTV's
RSNs.  Also, I was looking forward to staying tuned in until the wee
hours of the night Friday watching the late game from the West
regional in Colorado, but again no dice.  According to

http://www.uscho.com/news/2004/03/23_008350.php

the rights in many markets with Fox Sports affiliates got gobbled up
by cable outlets.  I find this a disturbing trend (see also the ECAC
playoffs).  While it may be six of one, half dozen of another to local
viewers whether a game is on ComCast Denver or Fox Sports Rocky
Mountain, it makes a huge difference to those of us in the
hinterlands.  Is there any way to convince those responsible for
selling the rights to these things to heed the fact that if one RSN
picks up a game, it can be seen by any college hockey fan anywhere in
the country with DirecTV or a nearby sports bar?

Also, even for those whose cable companies happen to pick up the odd
broadcast (apparently Cox Sports Channel in New Orleans has a couple
of games which are also on the dish), anyone who made their TV
provider decision based on a desire to see college hockey will have
gone with a minidish, because of all the games throughout the season
which are on the assorted Fox Sports networks as well as NESN and
occasionally Empire and YES.  We college hockey nuts have gone out of
our way to watch games all season long, and it's a shame the
programming contracts have short-changed us come playoff time.

                                          John Whelan, Cornell '91
                                     http://www.amurgsval.org/joe/