From:
Clay Satow <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 11 Jan 2003 10:32:05 -0800
My guess is that:

1.  There were some incidents of coaches trashing players or vice versa.  I know of some instances
of youth hockey leagues that abandoned the practice entirely.

2.  A coach fell down and hurt himself.

My opinion is that this is a custom that has lost its meaning because of overuse.  So far as I can
tell, the practice originated in the NHL, where its used in the deciding game of the Stanley Cup
playoff series.  The equivalent for the NCAA would be to do it in the league and NCAA tournaments.
 When it's done every game, it becomes rote and meaningless, sort of like a grocery store cashier
saying "have a nice day."  In a lot of handshake lines I see, the players just tap gloves and
don't even make eye contact.

Clay

. . .