From:
Vicki Price <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 18 Dec 1999 17:31:26 EST
<that's what the penalty box is there for.

I never stated that the penalty box wasn't part of the game. This is an
assumption on your part. What I alluded to is that injurious illegal injury
causing behavior deserves more than a sit in the "SIN BIN."

>I think he was saying it's amazing that we don't get 2 or 3 concussions per
>game, given all the contact and everything in the game.

The league wide concussion evaluation study was begun because so many
concussions were going undetected. I think we'd be relatively safe in
estimating concussions can total over 1 or 2 a game in the pros. Concussion
symptoms are often ignored by players unless they're knocked unconscious.
That means that level 1 and 2 concussions are never quantified, cause they
aren't reported. The only way the league was able to figure out how many were
occurring was to test everyone before and after the season. Muscle strains
and bone breaks are very detectable, iceable, treatable. The only remedy for
a concussion is not playing until you've been cleared and are side effect
free. SIS, second injury syndrome and PSC, post concussion syndrome are the
serious side effects that happen when you don't follow the guidelines.

>The truth of the matter is hockey is considered by the uninitiated to be a
>Canadian Sport and has nothing on Football.

Golf was born in Scotland and its first early organizations were Canadian, so
I don't buy your "born out of the USA" argument.

> Because the checking does add much to the appeal of the game.

No one said there shouldn't be contact. You leap again.

<And before there were no helmets, minimal padding, no half or full shields,
etc.

And, before there were no aluminum sticks and no increase in abdominal
injuries.
While new advanced equipment protects it also has increases the chances for
some injuries.

<And yet the Canadian goon hockey produced higher scoring games than today's
<more European style.

The less skilled GOON HOCKEY would produce higher scoring games against other
like caliber players. But,what will it look like? It makes sense to me that
the most skilled European players will score less against each other while
looking great. It's all a question of which way you like it.

Vicki