From:
"Cheryl A. Morris" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cheryl A. Morris
Date:
Sat, 15 Mar 1997 11:09:37 -0500

 On Sat, 15 Mar 1997, Mike Machnik wrote:

> Does this mark the first time that instant replay was ever used in college
> hockey?  How about the first time it resulted in a goal after one was waved
> off?

In fact there were three games where the video replay proved important in
determining whether a goal was scored or not.  In the Cornell/RPI game a
lengthy review was undertaken on the Healy goal at the end of the second
period.  According to the WRPI broadcast, Dan Riva was lying in the crease
when Healy finally scored after several attempts.  The goal judge and
referee never signaled goal.  The goal was only put up after the video
replay.

It seems curious to me that when the video replay was used (did the CCHA
also experiment at Joe Louis?) it became a factor in three out of the four
games played.  Is that evidence on the state of officiating in college
hockey in general?  Obviously video replay is never going to be instituted
in regular season contests due to the expense involved, but should the
leagues devote some resources to improving the quality of their
officiating crews?  IMHO the officiating this season in the ECAC was
mediocre at best.  Inexperience, tentativeness, inconsistency seemed to be
the dominant tendencies this season.  My counterparts in the WCHA also
seemed to be particularly incensed with the quality of officials in that
league, and in the CCHA, well, we all know what John Hauessler thinks. :-)

Instead of excuses, and brush-offs from other readers about whining fans
and refs, I'd be interested to see an intelligent discussion on whether
officiating has declined the past season, in general.
Brian Morris                    RPI Engineers--The Future is Bright
[log in to unmask]       See you in Milwaukee