From:
Blackthorn Zaban <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 25 Mar 1996 20:11:40 -0500
have been named Rookie of the Year.  Based upon the criteria as I understood
it she was not the logical choice, then again neither was Laurie Baker.

Your very argument defeats itself.  Under your criteria, Erin Magee or Dana
Antal should  have been name rookie of the year.  Both of them had more
points than Baker and Magee had more points than Zaban.  Both came from teams
that were almost totally devoid of scoring. In fact Antal led her team to a
play-off spot where they were picked to finish 10th.  Magee set all kinds of
school scoring records and had more points than either Zaban or Baker in the
ECAC.

The truth about PC was that it was a very talented team that took most of the
season to click.  My comment was address to the fact that Laurie Baker had
three times more goals than assists, this inspite of the fact that she had
three experience wings in Jessica Wagner, Mya Yates and Allison Wheeler.  The
reason that Laurie Baker had so  many points was that she did not pass the
puck.

Last year Meghan Sittler was selected Rookie of the year over Brandy Fisher
in spite of the fact that Colby did not make the playoffs.  At that time the
basis seemed to be ECAC points.  Which incidently has almost always been the
basis.  My argument unlike your is that if you have awards they should mean
something.   By that there needs to be a discernable basis by which you can
make that determination.  If you argue that the intangibles not the points
are the issue then Meghan Sittler should not have been the most valuable
player, since Colby did not make it past the first round and she did not
score.

All I am saying is if you borrow money to factory, why make Yugos.
 Incidently, a few people have written to me privately to express these same
views.  I realize that awards are subjective, but hockey is not figure
skating and there are objective criteria.  I would like to see a game where
everybody has a chance based upon what you have done not who you know or
where you live.  Dan, the emperor is not wearing any clothes.