From:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Mar 1994 14:20:27 EST
Thanks for the article, Kevin.

I have the same feelings sometimes.  This has been the season that
HOCKEY-L subscribers have learned what "flame" means :-(

I think you answered your own question when you suggested that the
HOCKEY-L participants are substantially young.  The internet is
substantially college based and so we have lots of students and recent
grads participating.  The internet surely isn't representative of the
world, US or college hockey populations!

But in many ways, HOCKEY-L mirrors the fans that show up in Alfond Arena
in Orono, ME .. and probably many other arena around college hockey.

Alfond probably has about half students (about 2,500) at most games, but
they tend to be quite vocal compared to the "other" 2,500.

But I think a relatively small percentage of the students participate in
the hockey program outside of attending games, compared with the "other"
2,500.

HOCKEY-L lets a lot more people from each group participate.  But for
local media coverage that many of us read, HOCKEY-L is the first mixing
of the two groups for many people.

Just as the first season "elder" subscriber might be surprised by a
"homer" opinion emotionally stated, perhaps some of the first season
"young" subscribers learn that others are just as proud of their
programs and that friendships with other schools' fans can be great.

HOCKEY-L is blessed with a great number of fans and participants devoted
to a great sport!

Almost anyone that has attended the NCAA final four ice hockey
tournament will come away with respect for the competition on the ice
and respect for their new-found friends from across the country.

Yours in college hockey,

Wayne Smith
The College Hockey Discussion List administrator
Systems Group - CAPS              BITNET/CREN:  wts@maine
University of Maine System        internet:     [log in to unmask]