From:
The Hockey Hamlet <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Hockey Hamlet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Feb 1994 01:35:00 -0500
        1       2       3
Union   1       1       1=3
Yale    1       0       0=1

First period
1) Union Jiampetti (Albert, Holbrough) 6:24.
2) Yale Carpenter (Giroux, Doyle) 16:41.

Penalties
Union O'Flaherty (holding) 7:55; Yale Brierley (crosschecking) 10:10

Second period
3) Union Sicinski (Moody, ???) 2:04.

Penalties
Yale Giroux, Union Albert (roughing) 2:25; Union Simonton (tripping) 8:01;
Union Holbrough (interference) 11:46

Third period
4) Union Ford (???) 11:21 PPG.

Penalties
Union Monteith (tripping) 6:19; Yale Carpenter (crosschecking) 10:26

Power plays

Union 1/2
Yale  0/4

Official: Dell, Stewart & Falvey

        As usual, I apologize for any mistakes. I'm sure Jim from Union
will be able to fill in my blanks. Luigi Villa played an exceptional game.
Unfortunately, because they decided not to announce the final shots on
goal, I can't say how good, but he had 30+ saves through two periods, and
many fine stops in the third as well. Todd Sullivan wasn't the wall he was
last night, but he had 30+ saves for the game.

        Controversy came at 10:40 of the second period. Jeff Sorem of Yale
broke in down the left side all alone on a clean breakaway. He let go a
wrister that beat Villa 1-hole, and the ref signaled goal. Foolishly, I
went to record the goal and didn't look up until the boos caught my
attention. After signalling goal, the referee apparently changed his mind,
and waved off the goal. After talking to people behind the net, I was told
that 1) the goal light went on (I don't usually watch the light, I watch
the ref instead, on the assumption that he's the better indicator) and 2)
the puck was in.

        Aside from that miscue, Dell and Stewart misplayed the end of the
game. The last minute or so of play was in the Union zone, after Yale had
put on the 6th attacker. About every ten seconds, a Union defensemen would
knock a Yalie into the net to stop play. That didn't bother me as much as
the fact that there would also be a little scuffle to go along with the
stoppage, and as the seconds ticked down and play would stop again, the
scuffles would grow in intensity. I know that the refs wanted to get out
of there, but if there was ever a time to call coincidential minors, this
was it. As it happened, when the game ended there was a fairly major
brawl. Unfortunate, because I think it took away from the very good game
Union played...and probably confused the hell out of our poor PA
announcer, who became so flustered he forgot to tell us the shots on goal...

--
7000 miles. 10 days. 26 states. 1 cop.                   Rob Callum
Des Moines to New York.                 [log in to unmask]