Sender:
From:
"Michael C. Machnik" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Apr 1993 15:29:45 EDT
1993-94 MERRIMACK COLLEGE HOCKEY SCHEDULE (Tentative as of 4/21/93)

OCTOBER 1993
Sat 23     Massachusetts        7:00 NC (times Eastern)
Fri 29  at RPI                  7:30 NC
Sun 31     Army                 4:00 NC

NOVEMBER 1993
Fri  5     Colgate              7:00 NC
Sat  6     Dartmouth            7:00 NC
Fri 12     Maine                7:00 HE
Sat 13     Maine                7:00 HE
Fri 19     Northeastern         7:00 HE
Sat 20  at Northeastern         7:00 HE
Wed 24  at Vermont              7:30 NC
Fri 26- at National Capital Tournament, Ottawa, ONT
Sat 27     (w/ Colgate, Ottawa, Western Ontario) TBA

DECEMBER 1993
Fri  3  at Boston University    7:00 HE
Sat  4     Boston University    7:00 HE
Wed  8     Providence           7:00 HE

JANUARY 1994
Sat  1  at Alabama-Huntsville   8:00 NC
Sun  2  at Alabama-Huntsville   8:00 NC
Fri  7  at New Hampshire        7:00 HE
Sat  8     New Hampshire        7:00 HE
Fri 14  at UMass-Lowell         7:00 HE
Sat 15     UMass-Lowell         7:00 HE
Fri 21     Providence           7:00 HE
Sat 22  at Providence           7:00 HE
Fri 28     Boston University    7:00 HE
Sat 29  at Boston University    7:00 HE

FEBRUARY 1994
Wed  2  at Boston College       7:00 HE
Fri  4     Boston College       7:00 HE
Sun  6  at Massachusetts        TBA  NC
Fri 11  at Boston College       7:00 HE
Sat 12  at New Hampshire        7:00 HE
Fri 18  at Northeastern         7:00 HE
Sat 19     Northeastern         7:00 HE
Sat 26  at Maine                7:00 HE
Sun 27  at Maine                7:00 HE

MARCH 1994
Fri  4     UMass-Lowell         7:00 HE
Fri 11-    Hockey East Quarterfinals
Sat 12       @ campus sites
Fri 18-    Hockey East Championships
Sat 19       @ Boston Garden

Totals: 35 games, 16 home/19 away.
HE: 24 games, 12 home/12 away.
NC: 11 games, 4 home/7 away. (1 in Canada not count towards 34 game limit)

* The schedule favors Merrimack in the first semester as the team
will play 9 of 15 at home, which should work out well since a number
of freshmen will be coming in who will be counted upon to contribute.
But if they're still struggling by Christmas, it could be a long year
since in the second semester, 13 of 20 are on the road including 8
of the last 10 games.

* 35 games will be the most that Merrimack has ever played in the regular
season to date.  However, one of those games will not count towards
the overall record.  At the National Capital Tournament in Ottawa over
Thanksgiving, the US teams (Merrimack and Colgate) will be paired with
the Canadian teams (Ottawa and Western Ontario) in the first round.  Thus,
for Merrimack, the game falls under the "trip to a foreign country" rule
and does not count towards the 34 game limit nor towards the overall record.
(This explanation is unofficial since the schedule is still tentative.)

* The other 9 nonconference games include 3 against DivI Independents.
Merrimack will host Army on Halloween and play a home and home with the
newest Independent, UMass.  (The official name that will appear in the
composite, etc. is "Massachusetts".)  The Warriors open their season by
hosting the Minutemen, then they will play at UMass on Sun Feb 6th.  The
rivalry with DivII Alabama-Huntsville continues with a pair down South
over New Year's (including the third straight New Year's Day game for
Merrimack).

* The Warriors will also play four games against ECAC teams again this
season, hosting Colgate and Dartmouth back to back the first weekend in
November and visiting RPI at the end of October and Vermont on
Thanksgiving Eve.

* Jim posted that UNH will be hosting Acadia (the defending Canadian
national champs) in an exhibition on Oct 16th.  I think that Merrimack
will also be playing an EXH vs Acadia that weekend, but it's not definite.
The last two years, UNH/Lowell/Merrimack have set up a deal whereby one
Canadian team comes down for a weekend of EXHs vs all three teams; last
year, it was 1991-92 Canadian champ Ottawa, and the year before, it was
Concordia.  If so, this game would count as the one game which a team is
allowed to host against a foreign team.

* Finally, we will miss the first four Hockey East games for Merrimack
including the home pair against defending national champion Maine on
Nov 12-13, since that's the weekend Heather and I tie the knot.  We hope
to make it to the Vermont game Nov 24th and to the Ottawa tourney, but we
will definitely miss the Maine series and the following weekend's home
and home vs Northeastern.  That will be the most consecutive games I've
missed in 8 years.  I'm still giving serious thought to making a quick call
to the Volpe during the reception on Nov 13th to see if the long-awaited
upset of Maine finally happens...and knowing Heather, I think it is safe
to say she will be right there next to me to find out at the same time
I do. :-)
---
Mike Machnik           [log in to unmask]    [log in to unmask]
Cabletron Systems, Inc.                                  *HMN* 11/13/93