From:
Susan Siegal <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Susan Siegal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 1994 16:59:29 -0600
On Thu, 10 Feb 1994, Greg Sorenson wrote:

> My question was going to be, what is the current debate on
> these campuses regarding their nicknames? I guess that
> still is the question, actually.

        Well, here at the U of North Dakota (mascot: Fighting Sioux) the
nickname/mascot debate has been raging for at least 2 years.  The name
was officially put up for consideration when the local public schools
were forced to give up names like (Redskins, Warriors, etc...)
        The deciding offical here is the president of the Univeristy, Ken Baker,
who was unlucky enough to take over as president with this matter resting
on his desk. His deicsion, after much open debate among faculty,
students, etc., was to leave the name in place 'for now'.  So far, this
'for now' looks pretty permanent.
        Baker though did make a gesture which was designed to appease those
pushing for the name change.  Baker got rid of ALL the Fighting Sioux
logos which portrayed Native Americans 'realistically'.  This basically
boiled down to getting rid of the logo which is the same as the Chicago
Blackhawks Indian Head.
        Meanwhile the campus is flodded with diversity forums, the ice has been
repainted, there's a 'Native American Sensitivity' message read before
the start of each home game, and every once in a while there's a letter
to the editor of the paper complaining that opposing fans wearing "SIOUX
SUCK" t-shirts is yet another reason to remove the name.
        Personally, I don' think the name has much of a stand left here.
Origianlly the North Dakota mascot was the Flickertail (some sort of
squirrel like rodent, I think) At least so far there has been no talk of
returning to that...

>  This sounded like an empty gesture to me...if you want to
>  make a ballsy stand, forfeit the games to the Sioux!

Now this would certainly make the upcoming weekend easier for me to face!!

Susan Siegal
Avid, yet scarred North Dakota Fighting Sioux fan!