From:
Walter Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Walter Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Feb 1994 11:00:43 -0500
I was hoping that some one would point out that Oliver's Theorem is
modified for coaches. A Corollary is needed: The Woof Gods to whom all
wins and losses are accorded will ignore coaches (such as Sauer, Jimmy Johnson,
and more) when the Gods are favorably inclined.

Well U of Wisc wisked away MTU 5 to 2 Saturday night in Madison to complete
a weekend sweep of the howling Huskies. The game was very similar to Friday's
game except that MTU did manage to tie the game up after the first period.
Comments follow unofficial (and sometimes wrong, sorry: I don't have perfect
information,:-) ) stats:

MTU 2 0 0 - 2
UW  2 3 0 - 5

1st Period:

scoring:

UW  Elick 6  (Granato, Kotlot) 3:31 (a 4 on 4 goal)
UW  Tucker 5 (Rafelsky, Doer) 10:53
MTU B. Peterson 17 (Lebel) 12:45 ppg
MTU J. Mikesch 8 (Lane) 15:42

Penalties:

UW  Balkovec interference 2:21
MTU Ram interference 3:27
UW Granato interference 7:50
MTU Garvey roughing 9:42
UW  Howard roughing 9:42
MTU Jensen roughing 10:53
UW  Buff roughing 10:53
UW  Moore roughing 12:04
MTU Perrault holding 17:21
UW  Spencer roughing 19:08
MTU Hanchuk roughing 19:08
UW  Elick roughing 19:55
MTU p> Mikesch roughing 19:55

2nd Period:

scoring:

UW Moore (Shier, Spencer) 8:00
UW Toc (sp?) (Strobel, Granato) 8:51 shg
UW Moore (Zent, Fairchild) 16:46 5 on 3 ppg

Penalties:

UW  Mike Stobel roughing 4:59
UW Balkovec highstick 8:25
MTU Ferguson too many men on ice 14:33
MTU Perrault roughing (4 min) 16:37
UW  Tucker roughing (4 min) 16:37
UW  Granato roughing 16:37
MTU Lebel crosscheck 16:37
MTU Garvey roughing 16:37
UW  Mark Strobel roughing 17:41
MTU B. Peterson interference 17:41
MTU K. Petereson bench minor 18:01
MTU J. Mikesch hooking 18:45
UW  Shier crosscheck 19:44
MTU Hill roughing 20:00
UW Spencer roughing 20:00

3rd Period:

no scoring

Penalties:

MTU J. Mikesch crosscheck 2:41
UW  Zent high stick 8:57
UW  Williams interference 11:33
MTU Jensen hit from behind (5 min major + DQ) 14:31
MTU Stevens hooking 15:34

Shots on goal

MTU Ram     18 20 14 - 52
UW  Carey    9  6 10 - 25

Powerplays

MTU 1 of 8
UW  1 of 9

Stars:

   3rd Star: Micky Elick: He had a good series with 2 goals.
   2nd star: Blaine Moore: Blaine was at the key spot at the key time.
   1st star and Superior player: Jamie Ram: What can you say when a goalie
      is able to stop 52 shots? MTU's problems have not been goalies.

Commentary:

The start of the first period seemed as though this game would be a repeat
of Friday's game. Elick with each team down a man got tyhe puck high in zone
and one timed it past Ram. Midway through the period, Tucker put a shot
over Ram after he stopped a flurry of rubber but finally was down on the ice.
At 12:45 Brent Peterson on a 2 on 1 breakway got a good shot on Carey. Three
minutes later Jeff Mikesch picked up a reound from Carey and put it into the
crease. MTU continues to pass the puck when they should be shooting. The
Badgers showed a certain quickness that prevented MTU form taking advantage
of opportunities.

The Badgers came out ferocious during the 2nd period which caused the Huskies
to run about, scream and shout. Eight minutes into the period Moore got a
clean pass from Shier in front of the net and put it past Ram. Shortly
thereafter, the Badgers destroyed any MTU motivation by putting a short handed
goal past Ram. From there out, it was the Badgers. THe Badgers took the game
away from MTU in this period. Moore got a pass from Zent in the center of
the MTU zone scoring the last goal of the game on a 5 on 3 advantage.

THe last period was almost anticlimatic. Neither team showed enthusiasm for
continuing the game. The only action came with 14 minutes into the period
when MTU's Eric Jensen was called for hitting from behind. He got a 5 minute
major and a game DQ. THe observers felt that this was a bit harsh for what
actually happened. Coach Mancini's after game comments left little doubt
about this.

 Now we look forward to having Denver at home. Whether or not we stay in the
cellar is up to us: By beating Denver, we can move up. In our remaining games,
we have but three at home. THus this series with Denver is extremely important
to escaping from last place in the WCHA.

Walt Olson
MTU