From:
Rick Feldhoff <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rick Feldhoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 1993 15:43:42 EST
Associate Professor of Biochemistry
Phone: (502)588-5752; Fax: (502)588-6222

   As a nouveau Shawn Walsh fan, I am very disappointed that he allowed the
Tory problem to ever occur and shows little remorse, even after the
suspension. Maine has done exceedingly well under his leadership on and off
the ice. But, I hope the Ingraham and Tory situations represent the end of
such nonsense and not the tip of the iceberg. Here in basketball-land we have
the good fortune of being exposed to college basketball played at the highest
level by Louisville, Kentucky and Indiana. However, we have also have had the
misfortune of witnessing these programs sometimes being nearly or completely
out of control by the university. There is a real danger when any athletic
administrator knowingly or willingly pushes the limits of academic
responsibility and accountability. The University of Kentucky basketball
program tried its best to self-destruct during a period of moral and ethical
corruption, but a savior (Rick Pitino) and hallowed athletic director came
along who emphasize academic quality and responsibility within a high-quality
athletic program. Similarly, at Louisville, the faculty recently had to slap
the hands of the athletic foundation (independent, self-supporting and very
profitable) by not approving the lowering of academic requirements for
athletes to the level required by the NC$$. The NC$$ rules would have allowed
our athletes 3-4 years of eligibility without having a prayer of ever meeting
our graduation requirements. What bothered me most in the Tory fiasco is Walsh
seems to be displaying an attitude and approach not unlike the above
situations. I can only hope some of the comments attributed to him in the most
recent postwere taken out of context. E.g, now he'll be able to spend the
holidays with his family and despite the Univ suspension still saying "I think
I may have done what"s right." Based on the summation of postings during the
last week, these comments are incomprehensible to me and suggest the need for
a reality check. Come on coach, wake up before you really screw up something
you've worked so hard to build.