From:
Erik Biever <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Erik Biever <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Mar 1993 23:16:06 CST
Karen Heasley writes:

>My question: does anyone know the history of the name of the Broadmoor
>Cup?  Is it in any way related to the Broadmoor Hotel, etc. here in
>Colorado Springs?  Thanks.

Here's the official word from the WCHA 1992-93 Yearbook (no home should be
without one):

THE BROADMOOR TROPHY

The statuesque Broadmoor Trophy is second only to the historic MacNaughton
Cup in competitive significance for the ten member institutions of the
Western Collegiate Hockey Association.

Awarded annually by the Association to the winner of the WCHA Playoff
Championship, the Broadmoor Trophy dates back to 1981.  It was first
presented to the WCHA by the world-renowned Broadmoor Hotel and Resort
Complex of Colorado Springs, Colorado.  For the first three seasons
(1981-84), the Broadmoor Trophy was presented to the WCHA's regular season
champion.  But with the return of Michigan Tech and the MacNaughton Cup
to the WCHA in 1984, the Broadmoor Trophy has since been awarded to the
winner of the annual WCHA Playoff Championship.

Long a strong supporter of college hockey, the Broadmoor Resort complex
includes the famous Broadmoor World Arena, which has hosted the NCAA Ice
Hockey Championships eleven times since 1948.

BROADMOOR TROPHY RECIPIENTS

1982  North Dakota
1983  Minnesota
1984  Minnesota-Duluth
1985  Minnesota-Duluth
1986  Denver
1987  North Dakota
1988  Wisconsin
1989  Northern Michigan
1990  Wisconsin
1991  Northern Michigan
1992  Northern Michigan
1993  Minnesota (!)

-- Erik
Erik Biever                                                     SKI_U_MAH!
[log in to unmask] / [log in to unmask] / [log in to unmask]
********  MINNESOTA GOLDEN GOPHERS - 1993 WCHA PLAYOFF CHAMPIONS  ********