From:
"Carol S. White C-WHIT@UMINN1" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 1993 19:44:58 -0500
The last game in the old Barn was a corker. The Sioux were really determined
to try and win on Saturday night and force a third game on Sunday. The Gophers
were even more inspired to get an extra day's rest and time to prepare for
their exams this week.

The Gophers came out with more intensity on Saturday, than they did on Friday.
Woog started sophomore Jeff Callinan in goal, which had been what I thought he
would do. There had been some discussion about who *should* start between the
gropup that met for a pre-game meal and tour of the NEW Mariucci Arena still
under construction. I can't remember who said that they thought that senior
Tom Newman should start Saturday night, even though that would screw up the
rotation. Because HE was the senior and it might be the last game in Mariucci.
Woog has been very unpredictable about his choice of goalies so either of us
could have been correct.

The NEW Mariucci Arena, was pretty amazing, even in it's rough state. They are
still pouring concrete and the windows aren't in yet, but it's beautiful. A
state of the art facility that will seat 8,600 it's first season with room to
expand to 9,600. There will also be ample "reserved" standing room spots along
the perimeter of seats at the top of the arena. All concessions will be at the
top of the seating area also. There are ample locker room facilities for the
Gophers, visitors and public patrons. There will be year-round ice. It should
be just as imposing to visiting teams as the old Barn was also. (Especially
since we expect to be sold out for every game next season with thanks to the
North Stars leaving town.)

Back to the game. As they did Friday night the Gophers had to play catch-up
hockey in the first period. North Dakota was leading 2-1 at the end of the
first, but the Gophers made it 3-2 after the second. In the third, the Sioux
scored twice and the Gophers once which took us to overtime! The zamboni had
already been put away in it's private garage for the season, and they had to
get it out to resurface after the third period ended. They sent the teams
downstairs and resurfaced and put 20:00 on the clock to start the overtime. As
it turns out a 5:00 minute overtime would have been sufficient, but it looked
like it was going to be a long night.

At 4:48 of the overtime Craig Johnson who was flat on the ice with a Sioux
defender on top of him, swung his stick and swept in a rebound to give the
Gophers the 5-4 win and sent North Dakota home to Grand Forks. The game was
too close to call and although it was a GREAT game, the added tension made
some of us close to crazy!!

The Gophers who scored were: Travis Richards, John Brill, Brandon Steege, Jeff
Nielsen, and Craig Johnson. The Sioux who scored were: Greg Johnson, Marty
Schriner, and Darcy Mitani. Greg Johnson also had one assist. The "Northern
Exposure" line got two more goals on Saturday night too. I sure hope Woog
keeps these lines together in St Paul. The Gophers expect to have Brian Bonin
back for the trip to the Civic Center this weekend.

At the end of the game, after the handshakes the Gophers gave the crowd their
traditional stick salute from center ice. As they prepared to leave the ice,
one of the assistant coaches sent them on a circuit around the boards with
sticks held high. It was very touching and I am sure that they will all
remember it for a long time. It was a final tribute to the 7,449 fans that
witnessed the final game at old Mariucci Arena. Then they saluted the fans
from center ice one more time and left the ice.

This game didn't seem to have the same effect on the fans as the one from last
weekend when the closing ceremonies were held. I think that everybody was SO
glad that the Gophers had pulled it out, that that overshadowed the fact that
we would never see hockey in the building again. The security staff was
watching for looters, although some signs were missing from the arena when we
got there on Saturday night. I told one of the guards that if anyone came in
with a saw, I'd like a piece of bench with the # 9 on it. ;-)

I understand that some folks stayed quite a while after the game and took
photos and just walked around. We stayed for a while and then headed over to
Stub's for celebration purposes.

Attending the last Gopher game in Mariucci were Lisa Sweeney and her fiance
William Sangrey who were visiting from Cornell. Perhaps they will give a report
 when they get back to their computers this week.

So now the Gophers who should be starting to peak (finally at the RIGHT time)
head to St Paul to take on the Badgers on Friday afternoon.
Let's GO GOPHERS!!!

-Carol