Date:
Wed, 5 Aug 1992 12:15:00 EST
Tim Taylor, Varsity Hockey Coach at Yale since 1977, was named the U.S.
Olympic Coach earlier this year.  Taylor is respected in the international
hockey world.  He was the assistant coach of the 1984 Olympic team, the team
that was doomed to exist in the shadows.  When Dave Peterson fell ill,
Taylor took over as head coach at the Worlds? in Canada last years.  Taylor's
international experience and knowledge of the game ake him a solid choice.

The past few seasons have bee rough at Yale, though Taylor has accumulated
approximately a .500 record in his 15 years.  In 1984, Mike Gilligan, now coach
at UVM took over as interim Head at Yale. A fill-in for the impending absence,
as far as I know, has not been appointed.

As far as style, Taylor is somewhat paassive in the locker room.  He the
quintessential student of the  game, always with a notebook and pen
in hand whether he is on the ice or at another collegiate high school game.
I have not heard who the assistants will be, but I think it woyuld be best if
one of them was a fiery Lombardi-style motivator.  This would provide a solid
to Taylor.
--Rob  Hobart