From:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Dec 2011 07:18:20 -0500
      (no particular structure to this post ... sorry!)

Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I like variety in host city.

I'd like to get there in half a day or less, stay close to the "full size"
venue and close to public transportation.

Each city has its strong and weak points (for any observer).

I've looked forward to Tampa since it was announced ... even though I'll be
back in FL 10 days after the FF!  Maine April can be great, but often
isn't. ;-)   The cold weather sometimes in St Paul and cold/wet weather of
St Louis were turn-offs, even though I enjoyed the events as a whole.  Were
it not for bus rides to MoA and Minneapolis, St. Paul was a ho-hum site for
me (sorry MN friends!).

*Many* people complained about Detroit and Ford Field, but I loved it.  I
didn't have Charlie's seat, which I seem to recall as too close and too
low.   We didn't get to meet any Red Wing players, but the staff we met
were very friendly and generous with their time.

Part of why my variety kick works for me is perhaps that we've been blessed
with our group and mostly very good Hockey-L dinners.

I don't understand the need to have local college hockey.  If I was the
site selection committee, I'd want to be close to (large University)
college hockey to help ensure all seats sold.  Tampa, though it will be fun
for me and Ben for numerous reasons, runs the risk of not filling the seats
due to low local demand.  That I understand.

I'm sure I'll love Philly, as I've spent time there on several occasions,
but I'm not so sure about Pittsburgh.  I think the NCAA will regret
choosing Pittsburgh.  I'd rather try Nashville or Chicago.

I found most of the NCAA "ideas" in the survey somewhere between lame and
cockamamie.  I'm an ol' guy, but I enjoyed and participated in the friday
evening events more 10-20 years ago than recent events ... but back then it
was a hundred of my closest friends and now they are formal, artificial,
often made for TV events.

I suspect my idea of group sales different from NCAA.  I'd like to see it
done in such a way that the group enhanced the experience, but might keep
individuals coming if the group dissolved.

I hope the Hockey-L folks renting the suite will comment on that experience
after Tampa.

Cheers, Wayne