From:
Andy Weise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Mar 2007 13:26:49 -0400
With all due respect, I don't know if this is the time to complain that the
WCHA doesn't have enough
teams in the tournament. Wisconsin probably loses their case with two
losses to BC and one to Clarkson,
all in Madison. CC loses out likely because of two losses to UNH, one to
Bemidji State, and a first-round
exit from the WCHA playoffs to Michigan Tech - all of these losses on their
home ice, as well.

Speaking of Tech, their  results probably make the best case for a bid (2
wins at Vermont, 2 wins at
North Dakota, two wins vs Wisconsin, and a first-round series win at CC,
but losses to Michigan and
Harvard at the GLI). Just looking at those results vs TUCs, Michigan Tech
would get my vote for a
4th WCHA team. I just can't explain why they're that low in both ratings -
KRACH & PWR.

Miami's case is made with wins vs Denver, Michigan in Ann Arbor, and SLU in
Canton, though might
be hurt by a loss vs Vermont,  loss & tie at Alaska, and swept by LSSU in
the CCHA...this may explain
why they're on the bubble, too.

So, in a sport where the WCHA has dominated over the past several years - 5
straight national champs
and 6 out of the last 7 - why is it such a big deal that they don't get
more than 3 teams this year, when
the results from Wisconsin and CC seem to show that they didn't win when
they needed to?

As far as the tournament selection process goes, I don't think we're ever
going to have a foolproof
system or formula that will make everyone happy. Every year, 1 or 2 teams
might feel slighted that
they weren't picked or upset with their draw if they were picked at all. I
think we should just be thankful
that we have a system at all (see: Division I football).

In addition, many of us ECAC fans are frustrated year in and year out that
the ECAC gets 1 team in
and fortunate when 2 teams are selected. I wouldn't be surprised if many of
us across the country were
rooting for Quinnipiac to beat Clarkson to allow a 3rd team in. IMO, the
reason the conference is perceived
as "weak" is because every team is capable of beating each other (and has
done so), thus knocking down
the ratings of its top teams. To me, this makes for an extremely
competitive and exciting hockey season and
even more of a reason that we should see more ECAC teams in the tournament.
I'll take this year's top 5
teams (SLU, Clarkson, Dartmouth, Cornell, and Quinnipiac) and put them up
against any other team in the
country and like their chances.

-Andy