From:
Doug Peterson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 23:33:17 -0500
Published tomorrow (sort of since it is already posted on their website) in the Minneapolis Star &
Tribune is a story that the hockey finals is (finally) going to be expanded to 16 teams for next year,
in all likelihood.  Jack MacDonald is pushing for four separate regionals hosted by the number one
seed in that region.  This was also my favorite version, at least for the west.  With all the new large
arenas out west, they will definitely improve on attendance.  I'm not sure what the impact will be
on the east.

The other story in the column was speculation that the strongest candidate for the Michigan State
coaching job is Denver's George Gwozdecky.  He was an assistant for six years under Mason
and his wife is a native of East Lansing.  He is also speculated as a candidate for Wisconsin since
he played there and was a graduate assistant coach.

Doug Peterson