From:
Jim Teresco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Feb 1992 09:34:17 EST
Lynah Rink, Ithaca, NY.
Saturday 2/22/92

Union     2 1 3 - 6
Cornell   0 2 2 - 4

Scoring:
1st Period-
1) Union, Quint 1 (from Menhall) 2:49
2) Union, Ferrero 14 (from Railton and Steele) 3:48

2nd Period-
3) Cornell, Dragon 9 (from Chambers and Hughes) 2:50 (pp)
4) Cornell, Nobel 7 (from Dragon and Duffus) 17:09
5) Union, Holbrough 2 (from MacLellan) 18:06

3rd Period-
6) Cornell, McManus 4 (from Karam and Hammond) 10:43
7) Union, Railton 9 (from Albert) 13:55 (pp)
8) Union, Menhall 12 (from Ferrero and Railton) 14:56
9) Cornell, Nobel 8 (from Chambers and Burke) 15:32
10) Union, Menhall 13 (from Railton and Ferrero) 19:46 (en)

Shots on goal: Union 8-14-6--28, Cornell 12-11-7--30

Goalies: Union, Villa (W,3-9-1)(30 shots, 26 saves)
         Cornell, Duffus (L,12-9-3)(25 shots, 20 saves)
                  Bandurski (14:56 of 3rd)(2 shots, 2 saves)

Power Plays: Union 1 of 4, Cornell 1 of 9.

Attendance: 3822

All season, Union has been the underdog.  They have had their good
nights and their bad nights, but none as good as this Saturday at
Cornell.  Union jumped out to a quick 2-0 lead, and held on to beat
Cornell 6-4.  It was easily the biggest win of the year for the
Dutchmen, especially for the seniors, playing in their last road
game.

After falling behind to Colgate 3-0 after 3 minutes on Friday night,
Union could never get back into the game.  When Scott Whitney was sent
off on a trip just 31 seconds into the game, it seemed like things
might start out that way again.  But Union killed that penalty off,
and soon after it ended, they took a 1-0 lead on Jon Quint's first
goal of the year.  It took just 59 seconds for Craig Ferrero to extend
that lead to 2, with the teams skating 4-on-4.  The rest of the
period, Union killed off 2 more Cornell power plays, with some help
from sloppy play by the Big Red and some outstanding goaltending from
Freshman Luigi Villa.

Cornell got one goal back on a power play goal by Joe Dragon early in
the second period.  The goaltending took over for both teams through
the middle of the 2nd, as both Villa and Parris Duffus turned away
scoring chances.  With about 3 minutes left in the period, Union's
Chris Albert came in on a breakaway, but was stopped by Duffus.
Cornell came right back the other way to tie it on Phil Nobel's goal.
The Lynah crowd was rocking, thinking the Big Red would now go on to
take a lead over the last-place Dutchmen.  But Under a minute later,
Cory Holbrough put Union back on top with his second goal of the
season.  Now only Section O was cheering.

Union spent a lot of time killing two early Cornell power plays in the
3rd period.  The penalty kill has hurt the Dutchmen badly this season,
but on this night they were able to kill 8 of 9 Cornell power plays.
Midway through the period, Cornell was able to tie the score again on
Tyler McManus' goal.  But Union's seniors were not about to let
another one get away.  Bill Railton came back with a power play goal
at 13:55 to give the Dutchmen the one-goal lead again.  A minute
later, Duffus misplayed Dalton Menhall's backhand shot, and Union had
a 5-3 lead.  That would be the end of Duffus for the afternoon.  Andy
Bandurski came in to finish the game for Cornell.  He also came in for
Duffus when Cornell played at Union, but there Cornell had a 7 goal
lead.  It took Cornell just 36 seconds to get within one on
Nobel's second goal of the game.  Now it was time for the defense to
take over.  They got the job done, and Menhall fittingly hit the empty
net from his own blue line with just 14 seconds left to cap things
off.

When Menhall's shot went into the empty net, the small group of Union
fans in Section O went wild.  The rest of the rink cleared out in a
hurry.  The teams skated off the final 14 seconds, then the entire
Union bench poured onto the ice and piled into the corner right in
front of Section O.  If you didn't see the standings, you would think
the Dutchmen had just clinched the league championship.  It was a
great sight to see.

Union improves to 2-17-1 in the ECAC, 3-19-1 overall.  Cornell falls
to 10-7-3 in the ECAC, 12-9-3 overall.  Union returns home next
weekend to finish their first ECAC season against Princeton and Yale.
Saturday will be Senior Appreciation Night at Achilles.

Union notes:

- With Rick Burchill serving a one-game fighting suspension, Coach
Delventhal moved Dalton Menhall up to the first line with Craig
Ferrero and Bill Railton.  That line was very successful, with the
three all getting points on Union's 5th and 6th goals.  Railton had 4
points in the game (3-1), while Ferrero (1-2) and Menhall (2-1) each
had 3.

- Railton now has 98 career points.  With 2 points next weekend, he
can become the 13th Union player to have 100 or more career points.

- These seniors won 52 games in their first 3 years.  Only the 4-3 OT
win against RPI in their first game can compare to this one.  After
the game, Coach Delventhal said "This win makes up for a great deal.
When I see the look on a Dalton Menhall's face, or a Rick Clifford's
face, or a Craig Ferrero's face...It was just great to see the
senior's faces and it was great that they got the win on their last
road trip.
--
| Jim Teresco			Union College                                 |
| [log in to unmask]	Schenectady, NY 12308			      |