Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 1999 10:31:41 -0700
i'll chime in here and congratulate the maine hockey team on beating a great
unh team.  and to alfie michaud, who made the greatest save i've ever seen when
he stole the puck right off the unh player's stick...  and to everyone else
associated with the maine hockey program in any capacity.

on the topic of shawn walsh:
i have the greatest respect for him as a coach.  that's not the issue here.
nor is the issue hatred or a black heart.  the issue here is what appeared to
be a blatant disregard for the rules.

while we may not always agree with the rules, they're there for a reason.
there are avenues available for challenging the rules, but blatant disregard is
not the answer.

i don't claim to be an expert on the maine situation.  however, what i've read
does seem to indicate some sort of deliberate foul play on the part of the
maine administration.

i've struggled with holding a grudge against shawn walsh.  that has something
to do with two overtime defeats of michigan in 1993 and 1995.  it also has a
lot to do with his apparent blatant disregard for the rules and lying about it.

i'm willing to acknowledge a job well done in the coaching of his team.  and
i'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt here.  i'll just believe that the
maine hockey program learned it's lesson from the debacle earlier this decade.
until it happens again...  i'll believe that this victory is sweet for all the
reasons it should be.

please join me in savoring maine's second national title...

scott quakkelaar
michigan, 1993
ucla, 1995

--- Nathan Eric Hampton <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Re: "...I still believe it reflects poorly on Maine that he was not
> fired.  Walsh, and Maine because they retained his services, lack basic
> ethics."
>
> So let me get this straight.... Walsh's ex-wife showed ethics by leaving him?
> Or I suppose you think it is ethical for the NCAA to suspend a coach
> (eliminate his source of income) and THEN impose restrictions on where he can
> get money (booster clubs or other private sources). I fail to see what was
> unethical about his behavior. His behavior may not have been in accordance
> with NCAA rules, but few of the rules are ethical. If behavior not in
> accordance with bureaucratic rules is unethical, than God help all of us
> drivers.
>
> I cheered for the University of Maine because they showed the strenght,
> courage, and foresight to stick with their coach during difficult times. Yes,
> if everything were easy, then we would all be ethical.
>
> Nathan Eric Hampton

===

unbreakable toys are often useful for breaking other toys

                                        -- author unknown