From:
Randy May <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 13 Oct 1998 09:59:15 EDT
In a message dated 10/13/98 1:47:34 AM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<<This interpretation cannot possibly be right, because it implies that
the NCAA considers any tournament game decided after the first five
minutes of overtime to be a tie.  Ask anyone at the NCAA, and they
will tell you that BC's record is 2-0, not 1-0-1.

That's my point...why have 20 minute OT's when it's just a measly regular
season game? In no other college sport does a timing differential come into
play because of some holiday or otherwise tourney. It's not a big deal...but
it doesn't make any sense.
The way I see it, conferences/tourneys have some gray area in which to work
with. I am convinced of this as of now. No one is going to dispute/take away
any losses victories at the Icebreaker even if the tourney DEMANDED (no proof)
that an :05 precede a :20 minute OT. What would the NCAA do if they played an
:05, and then a :20, and one team scored more than 15:00 into the 20:00 OT?
That would be interesting.

Case in point, what about Hockey Easts way of settling ties in recent years
with a shootout? The shootout win does not count for NCAA's but it comes into
play a little anyway. This is why I believe that mighty-money making
tournaments could simply (if they wanted to, but no apparent reason for it)
time the game that way (:05; 20:00) and no one would make a big fuss. It
should be that way anyway.

Randy May
http://members.aol.com/al20secord/choose.html