Date:
Tue, 28 Jan 1992 12:13:11 EST

> ANOTHER OPINION: Ohio State coach Jerry Welsh may be the only CCHA coach who
> isn't completely opposed to the coaching reductions.
>
> "I'm ambivalent," the 17-year Buckeye veteran said.

I couldn't have summed up the OSU hockey program's main problem any better.

.
> "This will bring the rest of the world down to what Ohio State has had to
> work with."
>
> Welsh didn't have a full-time assistant coach for almost a decade.  He manage
> to get that concession in 1984.
> (END)

This is another problem.  For a while, I have contended that Welsh has no
interest in guiding the program to a better plane of existence.  He doesn't
agitate for improvement which is fine with the administration, and thus, he
keeps his job.  How many coaches would have tolerated not having an assistant
for 9 years?  Bringing everyone else down to OSU is his dream come true.  He
won't have to improve anything.  There is definitely a problem when your
program is headed up by a coach who would gladly allow the level of college
hockey to diminish simply because he has had to deal with unreasonable
conditions at his school.

--
Dave [log in to unmask]
Cornell '91 OSU Med '95