From:
"Edward N. Moller" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Edward N. Moller
Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 1997 21:19:06 -0500
Coming in late on this thread...
On Mon, 17 Feb 1997 09:22:00 -0500 Frank Lisnik wrote:

> Jay Lau wrote:
> >
> > Based on the crappy coverage by channel 68 the last three years, I hope
> > the Beanpot goes to a real station like channel 38. Maybe even FOX
> > would pick it up.
> >
> I've enjoyed watching the Beanpot for years even though I'm from "Bear
> Country". Yes, there are people up here who like hockey, the sport, not
> just the local team, but unfortunately these last few Beanpots have not
> been available because of their local coverage in the Boston area. With
> NESN dropping its coverage of College Hockey, what are the chances one
> of the larger stations, TV38 or FOX, will find it lucrative to pick it
> up?

FWIW, the state of our game within the mass media is in sad shape.
WABU's contract with the Beanpot has expired, and there are reports that
the station is up for sale.  WNDS has been sold, and will soon become a
home shopping channel.  NESN has decided not to renew its contract with
Hockey East.  The hope for WSBK, WLVI, or WFXT entering the arena
probably will not come to pass, as those stations have large commitments
to their networks, UPN, WB, and FOX.  The future for college hockey on
New England television looks bleak.

Things aren't that much better with radio.  Boston University's radio
broadcasts on WROL-AM 740 in Boston are an embarrassment.  This is not
an indictment against the announcers, rather the choice of radio
station.  One can barely receive WROL's broadcasts on Commonwealth
Avenue when leaving Walter Brown Arena.  In my home town of Needham,
WROL is unlistenable because it's drowned out by a station from
Philadelphia.  The irony here is that BU owns WBUR-FM, a 50,000 watt NPR
affiliate which is one of the finest media outlets in New England.

The fact is that even though college hockey's popularity is at an
all-time peak, mass media merchants are in the business of making
money.  Why else are there so many men's and women's college basketball
games on the tube and so few college hockey games?  Basketball fits very
nicely into a 2-hour programming block, and hockey's popularity is still
predominantly regional.

The good news is that there is more information about our little game
available to us fans than ever before (see your monitor).  The lack of
television coverage is disappointing to all of us.  Consider what it was
like before cable.  I guess we'll just have to attend more games.  On
the other hand, think of what it would be like if the game was as
popular as men's and women's college basketball?  Phinal Phour tickets
costing thousands of dollars, instead of $25 tickets selling for $5, as
they were on the streets of Cincinnati last year.  Can you imagine
people asking for basketball final four tickets on its version of this
list?

I can't go to Milwaukee for the Phinal Phour this year, as I have family
commitments that weekend.  But at least I know that NESN will show the
semi-finals and ESPN will air the championship game.  It's better than
nothing.  What's important is that we as fans continue to support our
little game as best we can.  To borrow a phrase, "Think globally, act
locally."  Pack the arenas and support your favorite team.  That will
show the local broadcasters what a great show we have.

 *    Edward Moller, Controller     |      Tel:  (617) 928-4515        *
 *        Mount Ida College         |      Fax:  (617) 928-4706        *
 *     Newton, MA  02159-3323       |    Email:  [log in to unmask]    *