From:
Rick Traugott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 6 Nov 1996 11:05:34 +0000
>What is the definition of the Plus-Minus rating?

>I know (always be wary of what you know) that a player gets a +1 when his
>team scores a goal when he is on the ice and a -1 when the other team scores
>while he is on the ice. How do power-play and penalty killing situations
>effect the stat?

Pwer Play and Penalty Killing goals do not count in the +/-.
However, I have always been of the opinion that +/- as a net total is
a meaningless statistic.  One player that is +2 and -1 has a +/- of
+1.  Another player could be +39 and -38 for the same net toal of +1.

It seems that looking at +, PP+, SH+, -, SH+ amd SH- are more
valuable statistics as separate values.  Then you have a better sense
of offensive and defensive ability.

Ofcourse this all hinges on how much ice time a player logs as well.

Rick Traugott
Head Hockey Coach
Trinity College School Bears
Port Hope, Ontario L1A 3W2