From:
MR ADAM C WODON <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
MR ADAM C WODON <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Mar 1996 02:08:24 EST
-- [ From: Adam Wodon * EMC.Ver #2.10P ] --

J. Michael Jackson wrote:

> Based just on this one game, I have trouble believing Adam
> Wodon and Luiz Valente get into such debates about who
> play clutch-and-grab and don't mention these [Clarkson].

Good point -- but here's the issue:  I have always believed Clarkson to
be a team that holds and grabs A LOT, and they always take a lot of
penalties.
   The reason I don't bring it up is because I don't believe it's a
perjorative statement.  When Luiz is going on and on about Princeton, I
defend Princeton's defensive tactics from the standpoint that everyone
does it, even, and especially, Brown, and that anyone who doesn't see
it is wearing blinders.
   I happen to believe Clarkson takes the holding and interference to
an ARTFORM.  They are good at it.  I don't begrudge them this, and they
are always one of the most penalized teams in the league so they don't
get away with it all.

   So my point is, I agree with you, but the reason why I have never
brought it up is not because I disagree, but because my only aim has
always been to point out that everyone does it to varying degrees. And
the only reason why Brown fans were pointing out about Princeton was
because Princeton played physical and beat them in a series. It has
proved fruitless trying to get this point across, however.

   Clarkson is damn good at playing physical defense, and very good at
getting away with a lot of interference because they're always in
motion and they mask it very well.
   But I don't consider that a negative comment on the team.

AW