From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Mar 1996 04:15:00 -0100
HE commish Bob DeGregorio made an appearance between periods tonight on
NESN.  Some of the things he discussed might be of interest.

* The shootout experiment appears to be over.  Bob talked about how the
league has experimented with it for two seasons with the goal being to
report back to the NCAA and decide whether or not it would be extended to
all of the NCAA.  He said that in his talks with the other league
commissioners, it did not appear that they were in favor of adopting it,
and he suggested that if this is the case and it does not now become an
NCAA rule, then HE will drop it.

* The site of the HE Final Four could be up for review.  Bob said that this
year, the league is in the final year of a three year contract with the
Boston Garden/FleetCenter.  The offseason meetings of the league directors
will include an analysis of the situation and a decision on whether to
continue with the current arrangement.

As I see it, on the plus side is that playing at the FleetCenter lends
credibility to the league, helps recruiting, and makes for an exciting end
to the season for the teams that make it.  On the minus side is that rent
at the FleetCenter is extremely expensive, the league has had trouble
attracting large enough crowds, and the cost to fans is great when you
consider ticket prices, concessions, and parking in Boston.

Also as I see it, possible other venues could include BC, UNH, UMass, or
another neutral site such as the Worcester Centrum or Providence Civic
Center.

Personally, I hope the tournament remains at the FleetCenter because I
believe the pluses outweigh the minuses.

* Not mentioned by Bob but discussed by some HE followers was the idea of
further changing the tourney format.  Some mentioned bringing back the 8v9
game.  Some went in the other direction and suggested limiting the
postseason to six teams, with the top two receiving a bye into the
semifinals and the 3-6 teams meeting in quarterfinal series.  I don't have
a feel yet for the chance that the latter might happen, but I do believe it
is unlikely that the 8v9 game will be reinstated.

* On a humorous note, after PC freshman Mike Omicioli led his team to their
semifinal upset of BU, PC coach Paul Pooley refused to allow the press to
speak to Omicioli, citing a team rule against freshmen speaking to the
media and adding that he was not mature enough, a line that made it into
Boston Globe writer Bob Monahan's article in Saturday's paper.  Saturday
night, a HE non-Merrimack SID (sports information director) caught up with
Monahan and joked, "Bob, you can talk to *our* freshmen...I'll give you
their names and phone numbers...hell, I'll even give you the names and
numbers of our recruits for next year and the year after that!"  Hearing
this, I jumped in with, "Can you give *me* their names and numbers?"  The
SID said, "No! I don't want *you* talking to them!" :-)

* On a serious note, Lowell defenseman David Mayes apparently seriously
injured his neck against Maine Friday night when he went into the boards
head first.  Mayes, a senior who has played well this year, will be out for
the rest of the season.  No other word on his condition.

* NESN color man Bob Norton announced his second annual "All-Nort Team",
following in the mold of the football All-Madden Team.  Norton's
selections, as I recall them, were:

F Reg Cardinal, Maine
F Dan Lupo, Northeastern
F Sal Manganaro, Mass Amherst
D Doug Wood, BU
D Jason Mansoff, Maine
G J.P. McKersie, BU
Coach: Bruce Crowder, Mass Lowell
Rookie: Matt Mulhern, BC

Mike Machnik                   [log in to unmask]            *HMM* 11/13/93