From:
Geoff Howell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 1996 19:57:02 -0400
Greg Berge writes:

>Prior to the formation of Hockey East, the 17-team ECAC was divided
>into 3 groups.  Was it EVER true that the best team from each group
>(or perhaps from the Ivy group alone) was guaranteed a top-4 seed?

>I seem to recall that in the early 80's Harvard had about a .500
>conference record and yet was seeded #4 in the ECACs, ahead of squads
>with much better records.

>(I was just thinking of how useful this would have been this year,
>with Cornell having a very good chance to finish with the best ECAC
>record among the Ivies but having a real dogfight for finishing even
>in the top 5, let alone top-4.)

Greg's memory didn't fail him - the 81-82 Crimson were 11-8-2
(.571), first in the Ivy Region but 8th overall. Harvard was the
fourth seed in the ECAC tournament and hosted Boston College (13-8,
.619). The Crimson went on to the ECAC finals, losing to Northeastern.
Harvard was the fourth seed in 1983-84 as well, when its record was
10-9-2 in the conference. The Crimson fell to 5th seed Clarkson in
that year.

The ECAC had a three division format (East Region, West Region and
Ivy Region) from 1979-80 to 1983-84. The Ivy winner always received
a no. 4 seed (or better, if it was earned). The formation of Hockey
East left the ECAC with 12 schools that reformed into one division.

Geoff Howell
Drop the Puck Magazine