From:
"John R. Nash" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John R. Nash
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 1996 09:33:12 -0600
Whoever it was who said that you can't field a hockey team without a
successful football team gave me a good chuckle.  Gotta love that
powerhouse Harvard football team, eh?  Sure, they had three national
championship teams in the 90s, but....  that was the 1890s.  Outside of the
Big Ten, the vast majority of NCAA hockey schools have far more success in
that sport than in football.

Obligatory Wisconsin comment:  stick a fork in 'em.  So much for my home
playoff ticket...  Now it's time to play spoiler and build for next year.
A bright spot has been the good play of Jake Soper, who was a walk-on
goalie brought in after Jim Carey left for the NHL. (smokin!)  I'm sure UW
has been recruiting another goalie, but Soper has proven to be a solid
backup to Dobber.  Of course, the complete absence of Wisconsin D this year
has given them both plenty of practice....

As for Sauer: I have mixed reactions.  It bothers me that he is unable to
field a good powerplay (at least during the last 5 seasons that I've seen).
Longtime Badger fans tell me that the last good powerplay was under Badger
Bob.  To me, a weak pplay is a sign of insufficient discipline, which
coincidentally is the way Sauer coaches, a more hands-off way.  Sauer has
been very successful, however, so I hardly think he should be fired.
Personally, I'd love to have Mark Johnson succeed Jeff Sauer -- he's done
great things with the new pro team, the Monsters, and he has the history,
the love of Madison, and the coaching genes to pull off some great things.
I think the ball is in Sauer's court as for when his tenure is up, however.

As for who recruited the 1990 team?  Um, that would be Asst. Coach Mike Kemp.

-==-John R. [log in to unmask] Chem. Dept-==-
                 --- "When in doubt, roll!" ---