From:
"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 1996 11:10:14 EST
I see relatively few games outside of HEA, but it's clear to me that
the Two-ref system works very well for HEA.  The first season or so
was a bit rough, but officiating now is, IMHO, the best that HEA has
had (over it's short existance).

The way HEA works the two-ref system is a little different than you
might expect.  (my words, not anything official:)  Essentially there
is a head referee, an associate head referee and a lineman.
Officiating teams seem to stay together as much as possible.

The result has been a few more behind the play penalties and too many
men on the ice calls, with generally a much cleaner game away from the
puck and a referee always in position.  Offside calls are very
consistant.  Does anyone else think the officials err on the side of
calling offsides on a really close call?

At least with HEA officials, the inconsistancy comments are bull.  All
refs are inconsistant, but if the two-ref system is a partnership
rather than just two individuals calling what they feel like at any
point in time, it can be and just might lead to better consitancy.

(I'll never forget, several years ago, one-ref system, one of the less
fleet-a-foot referees (let's call him Steve) signaled a goal while
crossing the opposite blue line).  :-(

(In another instance, a relatively young referee, after calling a
penalty, would not turn around to acknowledge the complains of a
player (while skating to the scorer).  He missed a good fight in front
of the net).  :-(

Linesman perhaps *can* call penalties, but they don't.  Talk to one
at the next chance you have.  They might point something out to the
referee at the next stoppage of play, but they won't call anything
besides too many men on the ice ... they want to work next weekend and
next year.  The CCHA has "empowered" linesmen to do more.  I'd be
interested to hear how this works, in practice.

cheers,

Wayne T. Smith
Systems Group -- CAPS        internet: [log in to unmask]
University of Maine System   BITNET/CREN: WTS@MAINE