From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 1996 10:21:00 EST
There's not much to comment on from Michigan 9-1 home
victory over Illinois at Chicago on Saturday night.  It seemed
much blander than UM's 9-3 win over UIC the night before.
It was pleasing to see that the two teams, who have a recent
history of slugfests, managed to play back-to-back games
without either side having a player DQ'ed.

The Wolverines outshot the Flames, 104-40, over the two
game series.  Michigan defensemen recorded 1-9--10 on
the weekend, including the first career goal for Bubba
Berenzweig.  Junior LW Jason Botterill contributed 6 goals
in the series, bringing his 3 game total to 9 following his
return from the World Junior Championship.  Michigan
dominated the second period each night, and have outsored
the opposition 17-1 in the second period over the past 3
games.

Thanks to a recent binge, the UM power play is now operating
at 29.5% (44 of 149) on the season.  UM has allowed 6 shorthanded
goals, for an "adjusted" power play of 25.5% (38 of 149).  The
penalty kill has been even more spectacular.  The Wolverines
have killed 87.5% (105 of 120) of their opponents' power plays.
Michigan has also recorded 12 shorthanded goals, for an
adjusted penalty kill of 97.5% (117 of 120).  In 22 games, UM is
+35 in man-advantage situations.

Updated scoring totals for Michigan's top two lines entering
Tuesday's game versus Alaska Fairbanks:
  First line:
  C  Brendan Morrison 15-25--40 (16 games) yes, 2.5 per game
  RW Bill Muckalt 11-18--29 (20)
  LW Jason Botterill 19-14--33 (16)
  Second line:
  C  Kevin Hilton 8-31--39 (22)
  RW Warren Luhning 11-14--25 (19)
  LW John Madden 15-17--32 (22) 7 shorthanded goals

And, I was able to watch a tape of Friday night's game yesterday.
Michigan's would-be 10th goal was actually poked in by Matt
Herr following a Bobby Hayes shot.  The puck was in the net
WELL before referee Steve Piotrowski's whistle.  A terrible but
inconsequential call.  Otherwise, a very solid game for the man
wearing orange arm bands.

One note on the Flames...I feel sorry for Deuce Wynes.  Chad
Korczak, Wynes' defensive partner, is almost as big a liability
as Notre Dame's Davide Dal Grande is.  I don't think Korczak
or Dal Grande could keep me from getting to the net, and I
have ZERO offensive moves.

John H (U Mich) [log in to unmask]