From:
"Sara M. Fagan" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sara M. Fagan
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 1996 13:39:13 -0400
> From: IN%"[log in to unmask]"    10-JAN-1996 20:56
>
> 5) 1988 NCAA Championship Game - Lake Superior 4, St. Lawrence 3 (OT)
>
> After beating Minnesota, 3-2, in a very tough game on Friday night,
> the Saints comeback on Saturday and outplay the Lakers, but goalie
> Bruce Hoffat gives up only three goals, while stopping 49 shots.
> Time runs out for St. Lawrence as Mark Vermette scores the
> game-winner for the Lakers in OT on only their 25 shot on goal.

I guess I will allow my bias to show through.  When this thread started I
immediately thought of the 1988 semifinals and the SLU win over Minnesota.
That game was incredible.  It seemed unreal that we were actually at Lake
Placid and playing against Minnesota.  It was the battle of the little school
against the giant.  And that giant had the Hobey Baker winner.  If I remember
correctly, the winning goal came very late in the 3 rd.  Pete Lappin scored
all three of our goals.  He was outstanding.  Even the loss to Lake Superior
couldn't ruin the thrill of that victory for me.  And that is saying a lot
considering that loss is still hard to take.  I still flashback to that game
when a net comes off its mooring/posts/magnets.

( I even enjoy remembering the consolation game between Minnesota and Maine.
There were long stoppages in play for sorting out penalties and the goalies
(Stauber and ?) tried to pass the puck between themselves to pass the time.
The officials took the puck away.  Was this the last consolation game in the
NCAAs?)

Sara
SLU '77
Let's go SAINTS!!